One of our hens disappeared without a trace. The next day we were missing several more. This pattern is typical of bobcat depredation, and there have been recent bobcat sightings in the neighborhood. We modified the chicken paddock so that the hens no longer could go under the trees and made sure all the hens went into the hen house to roost at night. More hens disappeared. I nailed the chicken door shut and locked the human door. The next morning, I found a single, partly eaten hen in the coop. I nailed the nest box lids shut. No more dead hens.
I set up a couple game cameras to find out what varmint I was up against. It is time to manage some raccoons. There were at least four attempting to break into the coop.